History of the Sandhill Baptist Church of Walterboro
In 1948 Sis. Rosa Crosby and Bro. Bruce Jamison followed through with an idea to build a small building for Sunday school and for meetings of the Sons and Daughters of Job. Dea. Bruce Jamison was the superintendent and Sis. Elizabeth Bryant was the Sunday school teacher. In 1948 they called a meeting with everyone to decide if they were going to purchase the land.
In 1949 they decided to form a church family. The following people were instrumental in getting the church family started: Dea. Bruce Jamison, Sis. Rosa Crosby (later Reynolds), Sis. Elizabeth Bryant, Bro. Charlie Reynolds, Sis. Ada Majors, Bro. Hallie Jamison, Bro. Harvell Breland, Sr., Sis. Viola Breland, Bro. Brantley Lingard, Sis. Valley Clayton, and Sis. Ruthie Mae Cobbs. Little Jessie Bouges, granddaughter of Dea. Bruce Jamison, gave the Church its name- Sandhill Baptist Church. It is now chartered as Sandhill Baptist Church of Walterboro.
The church family got together and Rev. Alfred Smith became the first pastor. After his death in the early 1960’s, Rev. Willie E. Coaxum became the pastor. Because of Rev. Coaxum’s commitment along with others, many hours of sacrificial labor transformed Sandhill from a wooden structure to a block structure. Rev. Coaxum serviced faithfully until he moved on to render service on St. Helena Island.
In 1980, Rev. Sam Campbell became our beloved pastor. Before resigning, he gave two years of dedicated service.
In 1982, our new pastor became Rev. Robert L. Edwards. He rendered fifteen years of energetic and faithful service until his resignation in 1997. Under his leadership, Bro. Garner Ackerman, Bro. Andrew Cooper, and Bro. Gregory Clayton were ordained as deacons in 1984, 1988, and 1993, respectively. On March 4, 1990 God blessed us to begin our first full-time worship service. Then around August 1990 Sandhill Baptist Memorial Gardens, a two-acre cemetery was purchased, and in 1992 the R. L. Edwards Education Committee was formed.
In 1997 after Min. Gregory Clayton was ordained, he became our new pastor – young and eager. Under his leadership, Bro. George Deal (1998); Bro. Benjamin Jakes, Jr. (1999); and Bro. Harvey Hodges were ordained as deacons. In December 2007 Bro. Bryant Williamson became an ordained minister. God has blessed us with a church van and extensive renovation and expansion (February 2005) have made Sandhill Baptist Church of Walterboro more modernized. Our newest deacons are Brothers Jesse Miller and K. Bernard Waldhour (April 20, 2008).
With the help of God and the saints past and present who gave of themselves sacrificially in Christian service our church is continually moving. For the main goal of Sandhill Baptist Church of Walterboro is to make disciples of Christ so that we will have better communities both locally and globally.
Revised February 23, 2009
424 Railroad Street
Walterboro, South Carolina 29488